Thursday, January 19, 2012

Happy 203rd Birthday Mr. Poe

Wish I was in Baltimore right now for the graveside celebration.  Sounds like it's going to be really cool :)  If anyone is lucky enough to actually go, take plenty of pictures and I want DETAILS! ;)
Poe's 203rd Birthday Celebration

I'm at least hoping that I will be able to find out what the special announcement is that Jeff Jerome, Poe House curator, is going to make about the infomaous Poe Toaster. 
Past Entry on Poe Toaster


Sadly, it seems that the Poe Toaster Tradition has ended.  This is the 3rd year in a row that the toaster has not paid tribute to Poe:
Poe Fans Call An End to 'Toaster' Tradition

One of these days, I will make it out there to pay my respects.  Until then, I'll keep toasting him on his death day every October.  =) 

6 comments:

  1. Poe is still greatly celebrated in the mixed media art world. This past year has seen a huge number of Poe related papers, stamps, cutouts and motifs come on the market. Long live the memory of Mr. Poe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A belated greeting, but Happy Birthday Edgar! I prefer his work to any of the modern genre of horror writers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. With My computer having "crashed" ... I missed Mr. Poe's Birthday.... Alex Revived and restored my computer to fully functional.....
    Still need to install any of my own files back onto it,...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just learned that Baltimore is dropping the funding for the Poe Museum ( located in the Rowhouse where he lived from 1832-35 )
    It has until June to become "self-sustaining" or it will be closed... The politicians have decided to use the funding that was to be used for this important historical site and use these funds for "other projects" Things that they thought deserved the money... I guess that the city officials care little or nothing at all about his important contributions to literary history...
    the Doctor

    ReplyDelete
  5. Baltimore is cutting the funding of the historic "rowhouse" in which he lived (from 1832-35)... It has until June to become "Self-sustaining" or face closure....
    Let everyone that you know about this great injustice upon the importance of him and his literary contributions ...
    your friend ...the Doctor

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had read something about that, but I didn't know that it was still in danger. It will be very sad if it does close, as it is a historic landmark. I hope that since Poe has such a huge following that donations can keep the Poe house open.

    ReplyDelete